Introducing: Glass artisan Amy Simpson


Glass fusing is the process of using a kiln to join together pieces of glass at temperatures between 1300 and 1500 degrees Fahrenheit. This complex and compelling art form first captured my attention in 2006, when, after repeated recommendations from fellow artists, I enrolled in a class at my local community college. Though I have a background in painting and metalsmithing, fused glass has become my medium of choice.
The infinite possibilities presented by glass fusing keep me intrigued and challenged. There exists a level of surprise in the creation of each piece as fusing results differ with the slightest alteration. Colors can change during firings due to chemical reactions. Variances in heat produce different results and textures. Firing schedules can sometimes yield disasters, but most often deliver shining and glorious results. There is no formula for any given piece or firing. Each success is a little bit of magic and a little bit of science.

My concentration in fused glass is glass pendants, plates, and art panels. My work draws from a desire for beauty in everyday life and is strongly influenced by Asian styles and themes. I feel that even the smallest pendant should be a showpiece…a miniature painting in glass, if you will. It is the individual wearer who breathes the energy into the shimmer of glass and whose personality frames each piece.
All of my glass work is hand cut, assembled, ground on a lapidary machine, and fired in a kiln. Depending on the desired results, each piece is fired up to six times. This process takes several days for each firing. Every item is one of a kind and cannot be reproduced.

-Amy Simpson